The combination of rice and beans (legumes in genera) is frequently used by vegetarians. This allows to have an important protein intake with all the amino acids necessary for the body, without consumption of animal products.
1. Nutritional value of rice and beans
- 220 kcal 923 kJ
- Lipids 5.6 g
- Saturated fats 1.1 g
- Monounsaturated fats 1.3 g
- Polyunsaturated fats 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates 35.6 g
- Sugar 1.3 g
- Protein 6.8 g
- Alimentary fiber 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.6 g
- Water 95.6 g
- Vitamin A: 0.0 mg
- Vitamin B1: 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B11: 0.0 mg
- Vitamin B12: 0.0 mg
- Vitamin B2: <0.1 mg
- Vitamin B3: 1.5 mg
- Vitamin B5: 0.4 mg
- Vitamin B6: <0.1 mg
- Vitamin C: 0.0 mg
- Vitamin D: 0.0 mg
- Vitamin E: 0.7 mg
- Vitamin K: <0.1 mg
Calcium: 54.0 mg
Copper: 0.2 mg
Iron: 2.3 mg
Magnesium: 38.0 mg
Manganese: 0.6 mg
Phosphorus: 127.0 mg
Potassium: 327.0 mg
Selenium: <0.1 mg
Zinc: 1.1 mg
2. Rice and beans recipes
2.1 Rice and beans (red beans)
- 200g red beans
- 400 g of long grain rice (unbeatable or basmati)
- 100 g of lardon
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 3 cloves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 small West Indian pepper
- Pepper and Salt
1.The day before, soak the beans in a bowl of cold water.
- Cook the beans in plenty of water (unsalted) over low heat for at least 2 hours in a casserole dish (they should be tender but not melted).
- Sauté in oil for 10 minutes over medium heat the salted breast cut into small pieces (lardon), finely chopped onion, crushed garlic.
- Add the beans, rice, cloves, bouquet garni, butter, the cooking water for the beans, add salted water.
- The water should completely cover the rice to a height of 2 cm. Season with salt and pepper, then add the chilli.
- Cook gently, covered, 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated completely.
2.2 Basmati rice and beans (red beans)
- 2 large cups of basmati rice
- 1 large cup of red kidney beans, boiled
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped yellow pepper
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- Ground black pepper
- Pinch of turmeric
Wash the rice, drain with a colander and set aside.
Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat.
Add onions to hot oil and stir until wilted.
Put the rice on the onions, season with salt, black pepper, turmeric and chicken broth, and stir gently until completely mixed.
Add water to the rice and leave it on a medium heat until it begins to boil and begins to absorb the water.
Cover the rice and leave on low heat until soft.
Add the red and yellow pepper and beans to the rice and stir again.
Serve hot with chicken and rosemary.
2.3 Rice and beans (African dish)
- 2 cups of white rice
- 2 cups of beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1.5 liters of water or (more if needed)
The first step is to soak the beans in water for at least 4 hours or overnight. Then drain them and wash well.
In a large pot, add the beans. Cover and cook until the beans are tender, about an hour.
Adding the baking soda helps the beans cook faster.
Then wash the rice and add the rice to the pot, reducing the water if necessary.
You will only need 3 cups of water to cook the 2 cups of rice.
Then add salt and pepper to taste and simmer until all the liquid is completely absorbed, about 20 minutes of cooking.
- After the beans have cooked you can add the tomato, onion and stock cube, Cook for 10 minutes before adding the rice.
- The secret recipes of roasted chicken
- The right way for perfect fried potatoes
- Rice and chicken recipes, perfect for dinner
- The cactus oil, the perfect ally of all beauties
- Delicious and healthy chicken recipes for diet
Originally published on Live Positively.