Everyone loves strawberries because of their delicious taste and nutritional benefits. They contain vitamins and minerals important to the health of the body in general, and you can learn more about the benefits of strawberries for diet, pregnant women, and children through this article.
1. The nutritional value of strawberries
Strawberries contain a percentage of proteins. They provide the body with about 2% of the protein that the body needs daily. Strawberries contain vitamin E, vitamin B, vitamin C, and vitamin K. They are rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and iron. Strawberries contain phenols or polyphenols, which are antioxidants that protect against cancer.
2. Benefits of strawberries
Besides of being very delicious, strawberries are also very healthy. The benefits of strawberries are striking, and they include:
2.1 Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
Women who eat three servings of strawberries per week are less likely to have a heart attack. Indeed, strawberries contain flavonoids, which are capable of improving blood flow and therefore reducing blood pressure. The fiber and potassium in strawberries also have a positive effect.
2.2 Prevention of diabetes
One of the important benefits of strawberries is the prevention of diabetes. Strawberries contain an amount of natural sugar (sucrose) at a rate of 8 grams per hundred grams of strawberry juice, which makes them help to balance blood sugar and protects against diabetes. Strawberries are also an essential fruit for people with diabetes, and it is better to eat it without adding white sugar and replacing sugar with honey.
2.3 Prevent cancer
The vitamin C and ellagic acid content of strawberries help the body prevent cancer. Vitamin C boosts the immune system, which remains the body's best defense. Ellagic acid, on the other hand, is thought to slow the growth of cancer cells.
2.4 Acts as an anti-inflammatory
The coloring pigments of red fruits (polyphenols) are antioxidants. They help reduce arthritis and heart disease. Scientific studies show that you need to eat at least three or more servings of strawberries to enjoy these benefits.
2.5 Prevention of mental disorders
Infection with one of the mental disorders is a common disease of the times, such as depression. So, eating strawberries reduces the symptoms of the disease, because it raises the production of one of the hormones of happiness serotonin in the body.
2.6 Natural anti-wrinkle
Eating strawberries promotes the fight against skin aging. Vitamin C is essential for collagen formation. Thus, strawberries promote healthier, younger looking skin and beautify the complexion.
2.7 Improves brain capacity
Studies have shown that red fruits rich in antioxidants can help improve learning. They even reverse the cognitive decline associated with age.
2.8 Promotes prenatal health
Strawberries are a good source of vitamin B or folate recommended for pregnant women or those who wish to become pregnant. During the first term of pregnancy, folate participates in the development of the fetus. Finally, folic acid helps prevent certain birth defects.
2.9 Promote Oral Health
Eating strawberries is essential for dental health, as it contains vitamin C, which protects the gums from infection. It also helps to whiten teeth and get rid of yellowing teeth and get rid of plaque and tartar on the teeth.
2.10 Protect the eyes
The antioxidant properties of the strawberry help to fight against the formation of cataracts. A progressive opacity of the lens of the eye, which can lead to partial or total blindness with age. The vitamin C in strawberries also protects the eyes from exposure to free radicals from the sun's UV rays.
There are other benefits of strawberries;
The benefits of strawberries for diet
The benefits of strawberries for diet are many; they are called graceful fruits, due to their nutritional properties that contribute significantly to weight loss in many ways as follows:
- Low calories in strawberry fruit, where a cup of sliced strawberry contains 49 calories only.
- Strawberries contain a high percentage of fiber that helps in the process of metabolism better, and thus works to increase the rate of burning fat, as a strawberry cup contains 3 grams of fiber, which is more than 10% of the percentage of fiber that the body needs daily.
- Low carbohydrates, the cup of strawberry slices contains only 12 units of carbohydrates. Strawberries increase the production of hormones Adiponectin and leptin, both are hormones, fat burning, and metabolism, and thus eating them helps to increase the metabolic rate and lose weight more.
The benefits of strawberry for a pregnant woman
There are many benefits of strawberry fruit for a pregnant woman and a fetus, namely:
- Strawberries contain folic acid, which helps to form the fetus's DNA, which protects against birth defects, and it also helps the development of the spinal cord.
- Strawberries contain a high content of calcium for a pregnant woman and a fetus.
- They contain nutritional fibers, which facilitate the movement of food inside the intestine, thus protecting against constipation.
- Strawberries contain vitamin C, which helps the body to produce white blood cells that are beneficial to the body's immune system and to prevent diseases during pregnancy. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron into the blood, protecting against anemia.
The benefits of strawberries for children
Given the high nutritional values in strawberries, it can provide children with all the benefits it provides to adults as well, especially the following health benefits:
- Strawberries help to maintain the proper functioning of the children's nervous system, thanks to vitamin C and iodine.
- The antioxidants in strawberries, such as flavonoids, can help avoid almost all eye problems, strengthen eyesight, and prevent dry eyes and macular degeneration.
- The vitamin C in strawberries helps boost the health of the children's immune system, treating coughs and colds.
- One of the benefits of strawberries to children indirectly; is that eating strawberry during pregnancy helps prevent birth defects, thanks to folic acid.
Related: What are the essential things that you should know about carrots?
3. How to choose strawberries?
Choose medium-sized strawberries that are firm, plump, and deep red. Know that once picked, the strawberries do not ripen more than what you see, so be careful to choose them when buying. Preferably take organic strawberries.
4. How to preserve strawberries
In the fridge: Two or three days. Avoid piling them up and only wash them before serving. They should be washed quickly, keeping their peduncle to prevent soaking into water. Drain them, hull, and serve them as quickly as possible. Also, avoid airtight packaging, fruits should breathe.
In the freezer: Wash the fruits in ice water, hull them, drain and place them on a plate, spacing them apart. Freeze quickly in the coldest part of the freezer. Then lock them in a freezer bag, ideally in a single layer. You can also roll them in sugar before freezing them in the same way.
Can strawberry be harmful?
Strawberry itself is safe and does not constitute harm, but excessive eating of strawberries causes a lot of damage, the most important of which are:
Some people cannot eat strawberries, because they cause them allergies, and symptoms of skin irritation, rash, and itching appear.
There are precautions that must be taken before eating strawberries, including the appropriate amount of strawberries that are given to the child, so a quantity of no more than 650 mg is given to a child from 4 to 8 years old. The best amount starts from 25 mg, and a quantity of at least 400 mg is given to children at the age of 1 to 3 years.
Some people eat strawberries without washing them well, which causes them diseases, such as gallstones and kidney stones, so put them in water and vinegar to eliminate the pesticides attached to strawberries.
Now that you know all the important benefits of strawberries, will you share it with your friends!
- What are legumes food?
- What are the most important health benefits of cumin?
- Brown vs white rice, which one is better for your health?
- What are the benefits of rice? a source of protein, fiber and more!
Originally published on Live Positively.