It is fair to say that OLED technology is the panicle of light management and screen technology, and it represents the high end of the spectrum of devices that do use screens. It is the product of the constant evolution of screening, in the sense that it builds and does what the previous generations of screens did before, but it does it more efficiently. There is a noticeable augment in the usage of OLED in new models despite the expensive cost of integrating it. That is due to its ability to display vibrant colors with no stuttering and eliminate the problems that other types of screens.
1. The evolutions of screens
The first screens were enormous with a backlight to them so that they can reflect the light on the screen and display the image. In the time it was out, that it was cutting-edge technology that surprised the tech world. But since then, screens got thinner and more color-accurate thanks to LCDs that used the same premise. However, there were still issues with visuals and light reflecting from outside the device, meaning that if the sun hit the TV directly, the image would be barely visible. That is how LED and eventually, OLED technology was in a state of completion.
2. OLED technology process
In the name of science and technology, companies kept pushing the boundaries of image processing and quality on screens, and that led to the creation of self-lit screens. The idea was that instead of having a light reflect on the screen, the screen itself contained millions of light particles that lit up with the right color whenever a stream of electrical current passes through them. This proved to be more effective in many ways than one.Related: What is blue light and how does it affect our vision?
3. The advantages of OLED technology
The usage of OLED technology is not cheap and does show when monitory the prices of products that use OLED technology. That is because most of the manufacturing process is slow and needs careful thinking to properly place the particles and optimize the light management up to the company's standards. But that cost is met by the many advantages of using OLED technology, including the flexibility of the displays and the precision in how they show colors even in broad daylight. In our days, most smartphones use OLED screens because they can reach the sides of the phone and are very good for photos and watching videos.
3.1 OLED vs LCD
- LCDs are way cheaper than OLED, and they use way less energy.
- OLED screens are more flexible and useful for more than one use.
- LCD uses light management less efficiently than OLED Displays.
- OLED can shut down portions pod the screen for better depth with blackened colors, while LCD screens are unable to control the light that reflects on them.
- OLED screens are more suitable smartphones seeing as their primary use is outside in the sunlight, and they are the primary factor of smartphone usage.
- OLED technology is more modern, making it easier to manipulate and develop as opposed to a more outdated tech like LCD.
- LCDs are more water and dust resistant; they are also more durable than OLED technology.
3.2 The future of OLED technology
When it comes to innovation and original ideas, companies tend to follows the trending topics and technologies that get the most attention. That is the main reason why so many ideas for concepts and inventions concerning OLED technology. Samsung and LG have been the leading benefactors out of their dedicated research in that field. On the one hand, Samsung has been working on upgrading the refresh rate on their OLED displays to enhance their animation quality further and experiment with the ability to have a curved edge to their devices, which they later named "the infinity displays." LG is very determined to make that a feature in their new line-up of TVs, in the sense that they launched a new type called "the rollable TV", which takes advantage of that feature.
- The benefits and conveniences of travelling light
- What are the 15 best places in Canada not to miss?
- 5G technology: the networking speeds from the future
- Automotive technology: its changes and the new means of car design
- Technology Addiction: the modern trend, its effect, and how to mitigate it
Originally published on Live Positively.